The American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) and the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) have agreed to a pathway that allows an individual to complete training in pediatric critical care medicine (PCCM) and anesthesiology in a shorter period of time than is required for separate training in each of the disciplines. Satisfactory completion of the pathway would confer eligibility for certification in both disciplines after 5 years of training.
The pathway includes the following stipulations:
• The pathway is available to those who have completed the required training for certification in general pediatrics.
• Both the anesthesiology and PCCM training must be completed in the same institution or in close geographic proximity in the same academic health system.
• Training in pediatric critical care medicine may precede or follow training in anesthesiology, or the training may be fully integrated.
• An individual in the pathway must be identified by the end of the first year of training or preferably before training begins in anesthesiology and critical care medicine.
• An outline of the five-year plan that details how the training requirements of the ABP, the ABA and the ACGME will be met must be submitted to both boards for approval.
• Individuals will be approved for this pathway on a case-by-case basis; programs will not be approved.
• Although double counting of scholarly activity/research experience is allowed, all clinical training requirements for both disciplines must be met.
• Six months of the scholarly activity required for PCCM certification will be completed during the six months of research time allowed during the anesthesiology residency.
• The trainee's Scholarship Oversight Committee will oversee this training, as required by the ABP's General Criteria for Certification in the Pediatric Subspecialties.
• The five years of training will not confer eligibility for certification in pediatric anesthesiology by the ABA.
• Trainees in the pathway will be eligible for certification in both anesthesiology and PCCM upon the satisfactory completion of all five years of training.
• Certification in one discipline is not contingent upon certification in the other.